"My child, if you accept my words and treasure up my commandments within you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; if you seek it like silver, and search for it as for hidden treasures- then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.” Proverbs 2:1-6

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cry Out & Rest in His Promises...

“O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory, because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.  So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name.  My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips when I think of you on my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.  My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”  -Psalm 63:1-8

Have you ever lost something?  I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess you all have.  And you search and you search and you search and you ask your roommates or parents and you search some more and when you can’t find it, you cry...maybe not all of you have gotten to that point, but I have.  It is SUCH a bummer when you can’t find something and you’ve looked everywhere.  Have you ever lost your faith?  Probably... How do you search for it?  Do you try going to church, looking at scripture, praying, talking to your parents or friends?  How about crying?  I’ve been there too.  Where it literally felt like I was just barely hanging on.  My faith and God seemed so illusive.  I was angry and desperate and helpless and I cried.  Literally, fell to my knees and cried out to God.  Sounds dramatic, I know, and before I got to that point, I always thought the Psalmists were silly in all their lamenting and getting angry and crying out.  But I was at my wits end.  I didn’t know what else to do.  Afterwards, I realized it was exactly what I needed to do.  I needed to remind myself of my weakness.  That I do not have it all together.  That I have to rely on God and that I CAN rely on God.  Now, it’s not like I prayed and then TADA! all better.  No, no.  But I did feel better, and I rested better in the promise that even though I was clinging, He was holding me.

Prayer:  Loving Father God, thank you for holding us and for listening to us when we cry out.  Strengthen us daily.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment