"My child, if you accept my words and treasure up my commandments within you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; if you seek it like silver, and search for it as for hidden treasures- then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.” Proverbs 2:1-6

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Life is a Battlefield (Part 1)

“David said to the Philistine, ‘You come to me with sword and spear and javelin; but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, who you have defied.  This very day the Lord will deliver you into my hand...’”  1 Samuel 17:45-46

Have you ever drawn lines against someone with a sword, spear, and javelin when you had no visible weapons on you?  I have not.  I do not know that I would.  That goes against all logic.  Add the fact that David was a young shepherd, and Goliath a huge and mighty warrior.  By our standards, David is crazy.  If I were David’s friend, I’d be like, “Dude, what are you doing?”, sure that the only thing that could possibly come out of this is an epic fail for David.  David winning is impossible.  But perhaps you have heard the story...he did win.  Goliath was defeated.  What?!  David trusted God.  He knew that only God could deliver him and he made that very clear to both nations who were watching the battle, saying, “The LORD will deliver you into my hand”.  He knew he was too scrawny and unequipped to beat Goliath, but he also knew that “His power is made perfect in our weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9) and that “God does not call the equipped, He equips the called”.  And what a powerful witness he was to our God's power to both nations.  David did some serious ministry out there on the battle field.
What swords, spears, and javelins are you up against these days?  Stress, worry, anxiety, loneliness, temptation, doubt, fear, guilt, uncertainty?  When you find yourself surrounded, grab your slingshot and a few stones and rest assured in His promise, that He will deliver us.
Prayer:  Divine Warrior, thank you for fighting along side us, for granting us your winning strength, and for calling and equipping us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment